Leaf Collection Programs
11/23/21 Update: Citywide leaf collection added the week of November 29
An additional citywide leaf pickup for both sides of town will be done during the week of November 29 (weather permitting). Leaf piles should be raked out to the back of curb no later than 6:00 a.m. on Monday, November 29, 2021. Crews will not return once they have gone through your street. Residents who are unable to get leaves out to the curb by Monday morning, November 29, will need to bag or mulch them. For the “free” December leaf pickup, residents should place leaves in brown yard waste bags and put the bags out for collection on their scheduled refuse collection day WITHOUT A STICKER. The refuse collection company will collect yard waste bags (no cans) weekly until December 31, 2021. Avoid raking leaves into the street since this obstructs the flow of storm water to drains and also causes slippery streets. Residents must keep their leaf pile separate from their brush pile. If you have any questions, please call Batavia Public Works at 630-454-2400.
There are two leaf collection programs available to qualifying residents who pay the monthly leaf/brush fee on their utility bills:
- Provides every resident with up to three collection opportunities (weather permitting). See schedule below.
- Click here for a map that is updated daily to show our progress while the program is underway.
- Dates may change due to the weather and volume of leaves put out for collection, although best efforts will be made to remain on schedule. Snow or freezing weather may significantly delay or permanently halt curbside leaf collection, since some of the equipment used to remove leaves is also used to handle deicing/snowplowing operations. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
|2021 Collection Schedule||East Side
|West Side of River|
|1st Pickup Begins||October 18 DONE||October 25
|2nd Pickup Begins||November 1
|3rd Pickup Begins
(will only be done weather permitting)
- Rake leaves to the parkway by 6 a.m. on the Monday of your scheduled week. Leaves will be collected rain or shine.
- Crews will make one pass by every qualifying residence during each collection period. Leaves that are placed out after the collection crew has passed by may not be picked up for another two weeks until the next scheduled pickup date.
- Leaves should be raked into piles no farther than 6’ back from the curb. Raking leaves into a long windrow will expedite the process. Leaf piles should be in the parkway, as equipment cannot be used in alleys.
- Leaves should not be raked into the street. This will obstruct the flow of storm water runoff during rain events and cause street flooding, as well as slippery streets.
- Avoid placing leaves near obstacles such as parked vehicles, mailboxes, utility poles/boxes, hydrants, trees, or sign posts.
- Avoid placing debris like sticks, bags, and plastic bottles in leaf piles, as this can cause injury to personnel, damage equipment, and cause delays. Foreign objects also contaminate the leaf material, which is taken to an agricultural site.
- The program is intended to collect the majority of leaves residents may have during the curbside vacuum collection program time frame. Residents are encouraged to use other options for leaves that drop after the curbside vacuum collection program has finished for the season.
- Various crews are working simultaneously during the program period. Trucks with large vacuum trailers are used for through streets, and a truck with a small trailer vacuum goes into areas where the larger equipment cannot navigate such as cul-de-sacs, “bubbles,” and dead ends.
- Limbs/brush should be placed in a separate pile for collection and may not be combined with leaf piles. Limbs/brush should only be placed at the curb if there is a scheduled collection. The final citywide BRUSH collection will be done the week of November 29 for both sides of town.
- Ornamental grasses, plants, and corn stalks should be disposed of as yard waste. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- From December 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021, residents may place leaves in brown Kraft yard waste bags and put them out for collection on their scheduled refuse collection day WITHOUT A STICKER. The refuse collection company will collect yard waste bags (no cans) weekly until December 31, 2021.
- Only leaves may be placed in the yard waste bags. No grass or other yard waste can be mixed with the leaves. Please try to keep the yard waste bags as dry as possible. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Use a mulching lawnmower and mulch leaves back into the lawn. This provides nutrients for the soil.
- Place leaves around plant beds and under trees and shrubs. This enhances the soil and provides insulation for the plants.
- Stickered yard waste bags/cans will be collected weekly through November 27. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
If you have any questions about the leaf programs, please call the Street Division of Batavia Public Works at 630-454-2400. Residents can also view a progress map that is updated daily.